Saturday 12 April 2014

prime numbers - Why does $equiv 1 (text{mod} n)$ seem so important?

I'm not great with math so please feel free to correct any mistakes in my question (or add more examples). I'm a software engineer and have recently wanted to better understand the maths behind RSA and Diffie Hellman. The more I learn, the more I get sucked into the wikipedia vortex, and the more this keeps coming up.



Around every corner there seems to be a theorem, formula, or technique where $x \equiv 1\ (\text{mod}\ n)$ is of fundamental importance and I don't understand what property it has that makes it so special (compared to, say, $x \equiv 0\ (\text{mod}\ n)$ or something similar).




For example:




  • Fermat's Little Theorem $a^{p-1} \equiv 1\ (\text{mod}\ p)$

  • Euler's Theorem $a^{\phi(n)} \equiv 1\ (\text{mod}\ n)$

  • Modular Multiplicative Inverse $a\ x \equiv 1 (\text{mod}\ m)$

  • Multiplicative Order (the smallest $k$ where $a^k \equiv 1\ (\text{mod}\ n)$)



What's the nature of this equivalency that makes it so pervasive among modular arithmetic and primes? Why don't other equivalencies show up more often like $\equiv 0\ (\text{mod}\ n)$?




Perhaps a new question altogether . . . why isn't it possible to have relative coprimes where there is no $k$ where $a^k \equiv 1\ (\text{mod}\ n)$?



Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...