Tuesday 12 July 2016

algebra precalculus - How-To Quadratic Funcions and Graphs



I have the following problem: For $f(x) = −x^2 + 4x − 8$ the value of $-b\over{2a}$
is $2$. Find the $y$-coordinate of the vertex of the graph of this function.



My book is severely lacking in material for the solution to this answer. I believe that to solve this we need to set our function to $y$ with a value of $2$, then solve.



If you could tell me which strategy to use or provide an explanation with a solved equation I would appreciate it.



Answer



The coordinates of the vertex are $(\dfrac{-b}{2a}, f(\dfrac{-b}{2a}))$.



In that specific case, the $y$-coordinate is $f(2) = -2^2 + 4 \cdot 2 -8 = -4$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...