Wednesday 13 July 2016

linear algebra - How to prove the uniqueness of the minimal polynomial?



I have here the definition:




Let $T$ be a linear operator on a finite-dimensional vector
space $V$ over the field $F$. The minimal polynomial for T is the (unique)

monic generator of the ideal of polynomials over $F$ which annihilate $T$.




I would like to know how to prove the uniqueness of it, how would I start?


Answer



You can start with proving




If $f(T)=g(T)=0$ for some polynomials $f,g$, then $\gcd(f,g)(T)=0$





and then the uniqueness will follow from a simple proof by contradiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...