Wednesday 13 July 2016

real analysis - Provided $f$ is continuous at $x_0$, and $f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)$ prove $f$ is continuous everywhere.

My attempt...






By definition, whenever $|x- x_0| < \delta$ we have $|f(x) - f(x_0)| < \epsilon$. Observing that



\begin{align}
|f(x) - f(y)| &= |f(x -x_0 + x_0) + f(y)| = |f(x-x_0) + f(x_0) - f(y)| \newline \newline
&\leq \epsilon + |f(y) - f(x_0)| = \epsilon + |f(y-x_0)|...
\end{align}







Here I need to choose a delta that can depends on $\epsilon$ and $y$ s.t. whenever $0<|x-y|< \delta$ then the above inequality is bounded by any $\epsilon$.



I'm also, in general, having trouble understanding this concept of continuity on an interval. I believe the structure of the definition is: for any $\epsilon> 0$ and any number $y$ in the interval, there exists a $\delta$ that depends on $\epsilon$ and $y$ such that for all $x$ in the interval and $|x - y | < \delta$ then $|f(x) - f(y)| < \epsilon$.



This definition makes me tempted to just choose y to be in the same delta neighborhood as $x$ in the given statement, but that constricts continuity to a small interval.







Edit: This question assumes no knowledge of Lebesgue measure theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...