Friday 15 July 2016

summation - Induction of $sum_{k=1}^{n} (-1)^{n-k}k^2 = frac{n(n+1)}{2}$



I'm trying to prove following statement through induction:



$\sum_{k=1}^{n} (-1)^{n-k}k^2 = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}$



I have only seen how to prove with induction when the variable $n$ is not included in the sum function. Like here (this statement is not correct, just to provide an example):




$\sum_{k=1}^{n} (-1)^{k}k^2 = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}$



It confuses me and I don't know how to proceed. Any advice?



Thank you.


Answer



$$\sum_{k=1}^n(-1)^{n-k}k^2=(-1)^n\sum_{k=1}^n(-1)^{-k}k^2=(-1)^n\sum_{k=1}^n(-1)^kk^2\\\sum_{k=1}^n(-1)^kk^2=(-1)^n\frac{n(n+1)}{2}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...