Monday 18 July 2016

combinatorics - Probability of picking all elements in a set



I was studying the birthday paradox and got curious about a related, but slightly different problem. Lets say I have a set S, that has n unique elements. If I randomly pick k elements from the set (assuming equal probability of picking any element), the probability that I'll have picked all the elements in the set, when k=n is n!/n^n.



Now, what would be the value of k for probability of picking all elements in the set to be > 0.9 (or some constant).



A simpler variation would be - how many times should I flip a coin to have a probability > 0.9 to have thrown heads and tails at least once.



Answer



Your first question is about a famous problem called the
Coupon Collector's Problem.



Look in the Wikipedia write-up, under tail estimates. That will give you enough information to estimate, with reasonable accuracy, the $k$ that gives you a $90$ percent chance of having seen a complete collection of coupons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...