Sunday 24 July 2016

probability - Expected value with nine-sided die

You have a fair nine-sided die, where the faces are numbered from $1$ to $9.$ You roll the die repeatedly, and write the number consisting of all your rolls so far, until you get a multiple of $3.$ For example, you could roll an $8,$ then a $2,$ then a $5.$ You would stop at this point, because $825$ is divisible by $3$, but $8$ and $82$ are not.



Find the expected number of times that you roll the die.




I am fairly new to the concept of expected value, and I don't really know how to go about solving this. It would be great if someone could help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...