Thursday 14 July 2016

real analysis - Proving a sequence converges.

Let $a_{1} >0$ and let $a_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2} ( a_{n} + \frac{1}{a_{n}})$ for all $n \geq 1$. Show that $a_{n}$ converges and find it's limit.




The Attempt: I am going to use the Monotone Convergence Theorem to be able to show the sequence converges. First I am going to show the sequence is monotonically decreasing by induction. However, I am having a hard time figuring out if the sequence is monotonically decreasing.



Please give me hints to solve the problem. Please do not solve the problem completely.



Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...