Thursday 14 July 2016

calculus - Calculation of definite integral



If someone could please help me with this question, I'm not sure where I've gone wrong.




I have the following definite integral



$$\int_0^9 {\sqrt {{({2x-6})^2}+{({2x-6})^2}}} \,dx \\$$



$$\int_0^9 { \sqrt {{2({2x-6})^2}}} \,dx \\$$



$$\int_0^9 { \sqrt {{2}}({2x-6})} \,dx \\$$



$$ \sqrt {{2}} \int_0^9 { ({2x-6})} \,dx \\$$




So after integrating, I obtain the following: (I checked this with online integral calculators as well)



$$\ {\sqrt{2} } (x^2-6x)\, \\$$



So if I am evaluating this integral from 0 to 9, would my answer not be $$\ {27\sqrt{2} }\, \\$$



I don't know why the answer is



$$\ {45\sqrt{2} }\, \\$$




Anyone know where I went wrong?


Answer



Don't forget the absolute value.
$$\sqrt{2}\int_0^9|2x-6|dx=\sqrt{2}\left(\int_0^3(6-2x)dx+\int_3^9(2x-6)dx\right)$$
which is equal to $$\sqrt{2}\left(6x-x^2|_0^3+x^2-6x|_3^9\right)=45\sqrt{2}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...