Friday 29 July 2016

Roots of polynomials over finite fields

I've been trying to find the decomposition of $x^2-2$ to irreducible polynomials over $\mathbf{F}_5$ and $\mathbf{F}_7$.
I know that for some $a$ in $\mathbf{F}_5$ (for example), $x-a$ divides $x^2-2$ iff $f(a) = 0$, i.e $a$ is a root of $x^2-2$.
Over the field $\mathbf{F}_7$, I've found (by trail and error) that one irreducible polynomial is $x-3$.
I've now got two questions -





  1. How can I find the other irreducible polynomial?

  2. Is there any more efficient method to find roots than trial and error?



Thanks in advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...