Saturday 26 November 2016

complex analysis - Series of a sub sequence which converges in $mathbb{C}$



I came across an old question in the analysis course I am studying which goes like this:



Assume that $(x_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}$ is a sequence which converges to $0$ in $\mathbb{C}$. Is there always a sub sequence $(x_{n_k})_{n \in \mathbb{N}}$ such that the series $\sum_k x_{n_k}$ converges absolutely? If yes prove, if not give a counter example.



My first intuition looking at the questions is to that that the answer is yes, but I'm not really sure how to go about proving it. I know that in $\mathbb{R}$ if a sequence has a limit and converges, then every sub sequence has the same limit and converges as well. Thus given that the original sequence converges to $0$ then each sub sequence must also converge to $0$ and the sum of any of these sub sequences would also converge.




Is this correct or am I wrong from the start? Any help is appreaciated


Answer



Since $x_n$ converges towards zero, for every $k$ there exists $n_k$ such that $|x_{n_k}|<{1\over 2^k}$. $\sum x_{n_k}$ converges absolutely.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...