Saturday 19 November 2016

sequences and series - Estimating $sum n^{-1/2}$



Could someone please explain me how does one obtain the following estimate:
$$
\sum_{n \leq X} n^{-1/2} = \frac12 X^{1/2} + c + O(X^{-1/2}),
$$
where $c$ is some constant.




Thank you very much!



PS As pointed out in the comments, $1/2$ in front of $X^{1/2}$ is a typo... I would like an answer with the correct coefficient here.


Answer



You can use the Euler McLaurin formula which gives us the estimate



$$ 2 \sqrt{n} + K + \frac{1}{2\sqrt{n}} + \mathcal{O}(n^{-3/2})$$



It can be shown by other means that $K = \zeta(\frac{1}{2})$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...