Sunday 27 November 2016

trigonometry - Can $Asin^2t + Bsin tcos t + Csin t + Dcos t + E = 0$ be solved algebraically?



This started out much more complex, but I've reduced an equation to this (it's for finding intersections of ellipses):



$$A\sin^2(t)+B\sin(t)\cos(t)+C\sin (t)+D\cos(t)+E=0$$




I want to solve for t where A/B/C/D/E are constants. Is this solvable algebraically, or is only numeric approximation possible?



Using trig identities and the formula for phase shifting, I can further simplify it down to this form:



$$\sin(2t+F) + G\sin(t+H) = I$$



Where F/G/H/I are constants. The formula is much simpler, but this may be a dead end, because now we have two angles to deal with.


Answer



yes use $$\sin(t)=2\,{\frac {\tan \left( t/2 \right) }{1+ \left( \tan \left( t/2

\right) \right) ^{2}}}
$$
$$\cos(t)={\frac {1- \left( \tan \left( t/2 \right) \right) ^{2}}{1+ \left(
\tan \left( t/2 \right) \right) ^{2}}}
$$
and after this you can substitute $$\tan(t/2)=z$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...