Tuesday 11 June 2013

Checking for differentiability,partial derivatives of a multivariable function

Let $f : \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}$ be defined as

$$f(x,y)=\begin{cases}
(x^2+y^2)\cos \frac{1}{\sqrt {x^2+y^2}}, & \text{for $(x,y) \ne (0,0)$} \\
0, & \text{for $(x,y) = (0,0)$}
\end{cases}$$
then check whether its differentiable and also whether its partial derivatives ie $f_x,f_y $ are continuous at $(0,0) $. I dont know how to check the differentiability of a multivariable function as I am just beginning to learn it. For continuity of partial derivative I just checked for $f_x $ as function is symmetric in$ y $and $x $. So $f_x $ turns out to be $$f_x(x,y) = 2x\cos \left(\frac {1}{\sqrt {x^2+y^2}}\right)+\frac {x}{\sqrt {x^2+y^2}}\sin \left(\frac {1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\right)$$ which is definitely not $0$ as $(x,y)\to (0,0)$. Same can be stated for $f_y $. But how to proceed with the first part? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...