Let $f : [0, 1] \to \mathbb{R}$ be a function that maps rationals to irrationals and irrationals to rationals. I could show that any such $f$ can't be continuous by showing that its range is at most countable and going from there. We also know that for a function $g$ to be continuous, for all sequences $x_n$ that converge to $x$, $g(x_n)$ has to converge to $g(x)$. So since $f$ is discontinuous, there exists a sequence for which this does not hold. Is it possible to construct it without assuming anything further about $f$? In other words, is it possible to prove that $f$ is discontinuous by constructing such a sequence?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
How can one proof the equality $$\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{k^v}{v!}=\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{v^v (k-v)^{k-v}}{v!(k-v)!}$$ for $k\in\mathbb{...
-
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
If you think about the limit definition of the derivative, $dy$ represents $$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\dfrac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$, and $dx...
No comments:
Post a Comment