Friday 21 February 2014

calculus - Convergence of $sumlimits_{n=1}^infty left(e^frac{1}{n} -1 -frac{1}{n}right) $


I've got in my assignment to show if the following series converges or diverges.
$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(e^\frac{1}{n} -1 -\frac{1}{n}\right) $$





Attempt:
\begin{align*}
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(e^\frac{1}{n} -1 -\frac{1}{n}\right) &=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n} + \frac{1}{2!n^2}+\frac{1}{3!n^3}+...-1-\frac{1}{n}\right)\\
&=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{2!n^2}+\frac{1}{3!n^3}+...\right)\\
&=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{n} + \frac{1}{2!n^2}+\frac{1}{3!n^3}+...\right)
\end{align*}



At this point I'm lost. I tried using D'Alambert as follows:




$$\lim \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\lim\frac{\sqrt[n+1]{e}-1-\frac{1}{n+1}}{\sqrt[n]{e}-1-\frac{1}{n}}$$



which I tried to simplify with basic limit laws (hopefully correctly):



$$\lim\frac{\sqrt[n+1]{e}-1}{\sqrt[n]{e}-1} = 1$$



I don't know where to go from here. Thank you for all your help in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...