I've been following a series on understanding about how imaginary numbers came to be, and in the series, it mentions that imaginary numbers mostly follows the algebra rules for real numbers, such as adding or multiplying by real numbers. However, it specifically mentions this "inconsistency(?)" about multiplying square roots of imaginary numbers do not follow the rule for multiplying square roots of real numbers, namely $\sqrt{a} \times \sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}$. For example, why can't I do this: $\sqrt{-2} \times \sqrt{-3} = \sqrt{(-2)(-3)} = \sqrt{6}$, which I know is the wrong answer. In the past, I've just memorized to factor out the imaginary parts first, and that $i^2 = -1.$ However, can anyone show me an explanation for this, or tell me where I could learn more about it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
How can one proof the equality $$\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{k^v}{v!}=\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{v^v (k-v)^{k-v}}{v!(k-v)!}$$ for $k\in\mathbb{...
-
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
If you think about the limit definition of the derivative, $dy$ represents $$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\dfrac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$, and $dx...
No comments:
Post a Comment