Saturday 22 February 2014

real analysis - "Prove that $sup{sqrt2,sqrt{2+sqrt2},cdots}=2$": How to show that the set is bounded above?

It is clear that $\sup\{\sqrt2,\sqrt{2+\sqrt2},\cdots\}=2$. However, I am struggling to prove this without using limits or sequences. I know that I need to show that the set bounded above, and then we can determine that it has a supremum which I can then show is equal to $2$. How can I show that this set is bounded above in an elementary way? We have not yet covered sequences, limits, or convergence in my analysis class, nor have we covered the trigonometric functions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...