Tuesday 18 February 2014

sequences and series - Testing for absolute convergence? $frac{(-1)^n}{5n+1}$

I'm trying to test the summation $\sum^\infty_{n=0}\frac{(-1)^n}{5n+1}$ for absolute convergence.



By alternating series test, I can tell is is at least conditionally convergent.




However, when I used the ratio test, I got 1, which means it doesn't tell us anything.



A google search showed an answer on yahoo answers using the limit comparison test, using the harmonic series to compare it with, but they seemed to ignore the $(-1)^n$...



The answer in the book says it is conditionally convergent, but I can't work out how to show that it is not absolutely convergent.



Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...