Tuesday 18 February 2014

Integration by substitution limits confusion



If I have the integral: $\displaystyle\int_{0}^{\infty}t^{-\frac{1}{2}}e^{-t} dt$



Am I allowed to make the substitution $t=x^2$, because I am then not sure what the limits of integration would be as for $t$ positive $x$ could be negative or positive?


Answer



Hint. You may rather perform the change of variable $x=\sqrt{t}>0$, giving $dx=\frac{1}{2}t^{-\frac{1}{2}}dt$ to get
$$
\int_{0}^{\infty}t^{-\frac{1}{2}}e^{-t} dt=2\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x^2} dx
$$ then you may use the standard gaussian result.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...