Tuesday 19 August 2014

How the determine the number of real positive roots of a polynomial?



The Problem





For a polynomial (of degree 3 or 4) with real coefficients how can we determine the number of real positive roots?




or phrased a different way




What conditions enure that a polynomial (of degree 3 or 4) with real coefficients has 0,1,2,3,or 4 positive real roots?





Context



I have a set of polynomials which have complicated coefficients which consists of several constants. I can determine the conditions when these coefficients are positive or negative. I am interested in only the positive real roots of these polynomials.



Possible Theorems to Use



Use a combination of Descartes' rule of signs, and Rolle's theorem?



Notes





  • These posts with similar titles Number of real positive roots of a polynomial? Number of real positive roots of a polynomial? as the polynomials in these questions have numbers as their coefficients (rather than unknown constants) or have a specific structure.

  • I am not interested in finding the explicit roots to these polynomials. I can solve them using Mathematica and other computer algebra systems. Determining when the roots are positive and real is the real problem.

  • I am not sure what tags to use for this post, suggestions and edits are welcome.


Answer



What you want is
Sturm's theorem:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm%27s_theorem




This gives a method
of computing
the number of real roots
of a polynomial
in any interval
of the real line.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...