Sunday 17 August 2014

real analysis - Need to prove the sequence $a_n=1+frac{1}{2^2}+frac{1}{3^2}+cdots+frac{1}{n^2}$ converges



I need to prove that the sequence $a_n=1+\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+\cdots+\frac{1}{n^2}$ converges. I do not have to find the limit. I have tried to prove it by proving that the sequence is monotone and bounded, but I am having some trouble:



Monotonic:



The sequence seems to be monotone and increasing. This can be proved by induction: Claim that $a_n\leq a_{n+1}$

$$a_1=1\leq 1+\frac{1}{2^2}=a_2$$



Need to show that $a_{n+1}\leq a_{n+2}$
$$a_{n+1}=1+\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+\cdots+\frac{1}{n^2}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^2}\leq 1+\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+\cdots+\frac{1}{n^2}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^2}+\frac{1}{(n+2)^2}=a_{n+2}$$
Thus the sequence is monotone and increasing.



Boundedness:



Since the sequence is increasing it is bounded below by $a_1=1$.
Upper bound is where I am having trouble. All the examples I have dealt with in class have to do with decreasing functions, but I don't know what my thinking process should be to find an upper bound.




Can anyone enlighten me as to how I should approach this, and can anyone confirm my work thus far? Also, although I prove this using monotonicity and boundedness, could I have approached this by showing the sequence was a Cauchy sequence?



Thanks so much in advance!


Answer



Your work looks good so far. Here is a hint:
$$
\frac{1}{n^2} \le \frac{1}{n(n-1)} = \frac{1}{n-1} - \frac{1}{n}
$$







To elaborate, apply the hint to get:
$$
\frac{1}{2^2} + \frac{1}{3^2} + \frac{1}{4^2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{n^2} \le \left(\frac{1}{1} - \frac{1}{2}\right) + \left(\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3}\right) + \left(\frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{4}\right) + \cdots + \left(\frac{1}{n-1} - \frac{1}{n}\right)
$$



Notice that we had to omit the term $1$ because the inequality in the hint is only applicable when $n > 1$. No problem; we will add it later.



Also notice that all terms on the right-hand side cancel out except for the first and last one. Thus:

$$
\frac{1}{2^2} + \frac{1}{3^2} + \frac{1}{4^2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{n^2} \le 1 - \frac{1}{n}
$$



Add $1$ to both sides to get:
$$
a_n \le 2 - \frac{1}{n} \le 2
$$



It follows that $a_n$ is bounded from above and hence convergent.




It is worth noting that canceling behavior we saw here is called telescoping. Check out the wikipedia article for more examples.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...