Saturday 20 August 2016

Convergent Sequence Terminology



What is the following sequence classified as? I don't want to make anybody solve it, I just need to know where to begin looking to solve it.
$$\alpha_1 = \sqrt{20}$$
$$\alpha_{n+1} = \sqrt{20 + \alpha_n}$$



I am suppose to prove that it converges to 5, however if I could just get a little terminology help it is more then appreciated!




Note: I updated the terminology, as well as give the initial value.



Thanks!


Answer



First, it's not a series, it's a sequence. Fixed in the original.



Second, it's a recursively defined sequence.



A sequence is "recursively defined" if you specify some specific values and then you explain how to get the "next value" from the previous one; much like induction. Here, you are saying how to get the "next term", $\alpha_{n+1}$, if you already know the value of the $n$th term, $\alpha_n$.




Once you know the first value, then the sequence is completely determined by that first value and the "recurrence rule" $\alpha_{n+1}=\sqrt{20+\alpha_n}$.



Now some hints:




  • Show the sequence is increasing.

  • Show the sequence is bounded.

  • Conclude the sequence converges.

  • Once you know it converges, take limits on both sides of the recursion to try to figure out what it converges to.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...