Friday 19 August 2016

The steps of simplifying a fraction?

So I'm in an Adult Education class for my GED and I'm trying hard to study on my Math which is the only subject I have trouble with. I only have "barely" a 6th grade education to Math so I'm having a lot of trouble totally understanding it all.



I'm trying to learn how to simplify fractions on Khan Academy which is the current task we're learning in the class. I am not getting any of it. I'm trying to answer the question



Simplify to lowest terms.

36/60


I tried to Google the answer to see if I can find an explaination how to do this and found one on Y/A but the question was how to simplify 60/36 instead. I assume it was the same steps.





You're looking to get rid of the common factors, and inspection is
probably easiest here.



First try 6 as a factor, so



(60/6) /(36/6) = 10/6



10/6 is even, so divide by 2




(10/2) / (6/2) = 5/3



OK, that's pretty simple, and both sides are prime, so the only thing
you could do further is change



5/3 = (3 + 2)/3 = 3/3 + 2/3 = 1 2/3



5/3 or 1 2/3 - take your pick as to the simplest!





I'm still not understanding it.



I understand that:




  • Find the number that goes into both 36 and 60

  • Multiply the number and count how many times it goes into 36/60

  • ???




I'm just not sure what to do after that. What is the next step?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...