Sunday 21 August 2016

proof verification - Prove divisibility in modular arithmetic



I know that a, b, n, and s are all integers and that $as \equiv b \mod n$. I want to prove that gcd(a,n) divides b. I think I have most of the pieces figured out, but I am not sure how to complete the proof. All $k_i$ are integers. From $as \equiv b \mod n$, I know that $as \equiv k_1 n +b$ . gcd(a,n) = d and d divides $a$ or $d|a$ and $d|n$, so $d|as$ and $d|k_1 n$ . Then $as = k_2 d$ and $k_1 n = k_3 d$. From there, $as = k_3 d + b$ and so $(as)/(k_3 d) = b$. I see that this isn't what I'm trying to prove. How do I continue, or am I even on the right track?


Answer



You've got $as = k_2 d$ but you haven't used it.




You can go about this with much less pain if you don't bother using these $k_i$. Just from the fact that $as + kn = b$, and since $d \mid as$ and $d \mid kn$, so $d \mid (as + kn)$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...