Sunday 18 June 2017

discrete mathematics - How to come up with relation in induction hypothesis for strong induction

Note: This problem is from Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications [7th ed, prob 2, page 341].




Problem: Let $P(n)$ be the statement that a postage of n cents can be formed using just 4-cent stamps and 7-cent stamps. The parts of this exercise outline a strong induction proof that $P(n)$ is true for $n \geq 18$.
a) Show statements $P(18)$, $P(19)$, $P(20)$, $P(21)$ are true, completing the basis step of the proof
b) What is the inductive hypothesis of the proof?
c) What do you need to prove in the inductive step?
d) Complete the inductive step for $k \geq 21$.



I am currently working on 4d. I am trying to apply what I learned from
Brian M. Scott Strong Induction



My work(off Brian's Model):
$P(n)$ is the assertion that a postage of n cents can be formed using just 4-cent stamps and 7-cent stamps. I' am given $P(18), P(19), P(20)$, and $P(21)$ to get the induction started. Now I assume for some $n \geq 21$, $P(k)$ is true for each $k \leq n$. This is my induction hypothesis and my task in the induction step is to prove $P(n+1)$
So I have to prove $n + 1 = 7d + 4c$, with d and c being some natural number.
Where would I go from here? What Brian did in the last problem was use the relationship that a domino causes the domino three after it to fall to show that the n+1 domino has a domino three before it that is in the assumption.



How would you apply this idea here? There isn't really that sort of relationship here except except if you consider 18, 19, 20, and 21 are separated by one. Would you use that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...