Sunday 25 June 2017

elementary number theory - Verifying that $2^{44}-1$ is divisible by $89$



As the title, I was asked to show that $2^{44}-1$ is divisible by $89$.




My first attempt is to change the expression into $(2^{22}-1)(2^{22}+1)$.



Then further simplified it into $(2^{11}-1)(2^{11}+1)(2^{22}+1)$, I used my calculator and was able to show that $2^{11}-1$ is divisible by $89$ but then I don't know how to show it with modular arithmetic. I do think that it is quite similar to the form where we can use the Fermat's little theorem. $(\sqrt{2})^{88}-1$. (Though I do understand Flt can only be applied to integer.)



Can someone tell me whether I can take square root in modular arithmetic as well? I am still pretty new to the modular arithmetic. Thank you very much.


Answer



Hint: By Fermat's Theorem, we have $2^{88}\equiv 1\pmod{89}$.



So $(2^{44}-1)(2^{44}+1)\equiv 0 \pmod{89}$.




If we can show that $2^{44}+1\not\equiv 0\pmod{89}$ we will be finished.



One way to do this is to use the fact that $2$ is a quadratic residue of $89$, since $89$ is of the shape $8k+1$.



Remark: Your direct computational approach is perfectly fine. However, it may be that you are expected to make use of "theory," as in the approach described above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...