Tuesday 20 June 2017

number theory - What is the remainder when 4 to the power 1000 is divided by 7

What is the remainder when $4^{1000}$ is divided by 7?
In my book the problem is solved, but I am unable to understand the approach. Please help me understand -




Solution -



To find the Cyclicity, we keep finding the remainders until any
remainder repeats itself. It can be understood with the following
example:




No./7 -> $4^1$ $4^2$ $4^3$ $4^4$ $4^5$ $4^6$ $4^7$ $4^8$



Remainder -> 4 2 1 4 2 1 4 2



Now $4^4$ gives us the same remainder as $4^1$, so the Cyclicity is of
3 (Because remainders start repeating themselves after $4^3$



So any power of 3 or multiple of 3 will give the remainder of 1. So,
$4^{999}$ will give remainder 1.




Final remainder is 4.




Now I don't understand the last line. Please explain, how the remainder comes down to 4?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...