Friday 16 June 2017

sequences and series - Show that ${a_n}$ defined by $a_{n+1}=frac{a_n+2}{a_n+1}$ converges

Suppose $a_0$ is an arbitrary positive real number. Define the sequence $\{a_n\}$ by $$a_{n+1}=\frac{a_n+2}{a_n+1}$$ for all $n\geq0$. I have to prove that $\{a_n\}$ converges.



My attempt: If $a=\lim_{n\to\infty}{a_n}$ exists, then it should be a solution to $$a=\frac{a+2}{a+1}$$ which is $\sqrt2$. Thus I need to show that $|\sqrt2 - a_n|$ gets arbitrarily small for large $n$. I tried to prove that $|\sqrt2-a_n|<|\sqrt2-a_{n-1}|$ but couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...