Sunday 25 June 2017

general topology - bijective continuous function on $mathbb R^n$ not homeomorphism?



Suppose we have a bijective continuous map $\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R}^n$ (relative to the standard topology). Must this map be a homeomorphism?



I have little doubt about this. I think that if it happens, I guess it's true, I've heard it is true, but I can not prove it.


Answer



Every such map is open according to invariance of domain and is therefore a homeomorphism. However, invariance of domain is highly nontrivial to prove with elementary topological methods. The slickest way would be via algebraic topology.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...