Saturday 28 January 2017

calculus - Finding the area of the top half of a circle



Alright, I'm trying to calculate the area of the top half of a circle of radius $a$. Here's what I did so far:



$$\int_{-a}^a \sqrt{(a^2 - x^2) }dx$$



So I wrote $x$ as $a \cdot \sin \theta$:




$$\int_{-a}^a \sqrt{(a^2 - a^2\sin^2 \theta )}$$



$$\int_{-a}^a a \sqrt{( 1 - \sin \theta^2)}$$



$$\int_{-a}^a [a \cdot \cos \theta]$$



$$2 \sin(a) a$$



The problem is that my textbook states that the area is actually:




$$\frac{\pi a^2}{2}$$



I've done this calculation over and over and I'm sure there are no mistakes, so what is going on here?


Answer



$$x=a\sin t\implies dx=a\cos t\,dt$$



and from here



$$\int_{-a}^a\sqrt{a^2-x^2}\,dx=a\int_{-\frac\pi2}^\frac\pi2\sqrt{1-\sin^2 t}\,a\cos t\,dt=a^2\int_{-\frac\pi2}^\frac\pi2\cos^2t=$$




$$=\left.\frac{a^2}2(t+\cos t\sin t)\right|_{-\frac\pi2}^{\frac\pi2}=\frac{a^2\pi}2$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...