Sunday 22 January 2017

real analysis - A point a is a cluster point of a set $A subset mathbb R$ iff there exists a sequence ${a ^{(k)}} subset Asetminus{a}$ converging to $a$.




Prove: a point a is a cluster point of a set $A \subset \mathbb R$ iff there exists a sequence ${a ^{(k)}} \subset A\setminus\{a\}$ converging to $a$.





My thoughts:



I know that the definition of a cluster point $a$ of a set $A \subset \mathbb R$ is, for every $\delta > 0$, the n-ball $B_{\delta}(a)$ contains at least one point of A, not counting $a$. but I do not know how to use this definition to prove what required.



Could anyone show me how to prove this please?


Answer



Hint:



Take $\epsilon = \frac{1}{n}$ in the definition of a cluster point to find a sequence. For the other direction, the fact that a sequence in $A \setminus \{a\}$ exists already tells you something about the intersection of open balls with $A$.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...