Saturday 28 January 2017

calculus - Prove without using graphing calculators that $f: mathbb Rto mathbb R,,f(x)=x+sin x$ is both one-to-one, onto (bijective) function.



Prove that the function $f:\mathbb R\to \mathbb R$ defined by $f(x)=x+\sin x$ for $x\in \mathbb R$ is a bijective function.






The codomain of the $f(x)=x+\sin x$ is $\mathbb R$ and the range is also $\mathbb R$. So this function is an onto function.
But I am confused in proving this function is one-to-one.

I know about its graph and I know that if a function passes the horizontal line test (i.e horizontal lines should not cut the function at more than one point), then it is a one-to-one function. The graph of this function looks like the graph of $y=x$ with sinusoids going along the $y=x$ line.

If I use a graphing calculator at hand, then I can tell that it is a one-to-one function and $f(x)=\frac{x}{2}+\sin x$ or $\frac{x}{3}+\sin x$ functions are not, but in the examination I need to prove this function is one-to-one theoritically, without graphing calculators.

I tried the method which we generally use to prove a function is one-to-one but no success.
Let $f(x_1)=f(x_2)$ and we have to prove that $x_1=x_2$ in order fot the function to be one-to-one.
Let $x_1+\sin x_1=x_2+\sin x_2$
But I am stuck here and could not proceed further.


Answer



You can prove that this function is strictly increasing :




It's a $C^1$ function and $f'(x) = 1+\cos(x) \geq 0$, so the function is increasing.



$\{x \mid f'(x) = 0 \} = \pi \Bbb Z$ is a discrete set, so $f$ is strictly increasing (if $f$ was locally constant somewhere, there would be an intervall $]a,b[$ where $f'(x)=0$ )


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...