Saturday 21 January 2017

number theory - proof - infinite pair integers $a$ and $b$ such that $a + b = 100$ and $gcd(a, b) = 5$



Prove that there are an infinite pair integers $a$ and $b$ such that $a + b = 100$ and $\gcd(a, b) = 5$.



I don't know how to proceed with this. Especially, proving that they are infinite. There was another problem when the GCD was 3 and I had to prove there existed no such combination, which I did with ease.




I have tried but have made no progress. Any help would be appreciated.


Answer



Thanks to Wojowu, I am able to present my proof. If you find any error or flaws please comment.



Proof:



$\forall k \in \mathbb{Z}^+ \gcd(100k+5, -(100k - 95)) = 5$



As, $\gcd(100k + 5, 100k - 95) = \gcd(100k + 5, 100k - 95 - (100k + 5)) = \gcd(5(20k+1), 5(20))$ which is equal to $5$ as $20k +1$ is relatively prime to $20$. Thus there are infinitely many pairs of integers that satisfy the given criteria.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...