Wednesday 30 September 2015

calculus - Exponential Decay Help

Hi I don't mean to sound like a clueless student who should already know this subject but I am really stumped on the topic of exponential growth and decay. Namely this one question:



"When zombies finally take over, the population of the Earth will decrease exponentially. Every HOUR that goes by the human population will decrease by 5%. The population today is 6,000,000,000, find a function P that gives the population of the earth d DAYS after the beginning of the zombie takeover."



This really puts me in between a rock and a hard place. As you can imagine I researched this question and various methods of exponential growth everywhere online, in my textbook, and in my class notes, but I still come full circle and find myself back to square one, with no clue what so ever on how this works. I would really appreciate it if someone could at least point me in the right direction like how to model a decay with exponential variables involving HOURS and DAYS as the question says. I already know my initial formula being 6,000,000,000(0.85) I just need to know the exponents used! Is it 6,000,000,000(0.85)^d/60, 6,000,000,000(0.85)^d/1? Or something like that? Please help I really want to grasp this concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...