Sunday 20 September 2015

Complex hyperbolic Trigonometry



When faced with the equation




$\cos{z}=\sqrt{2}$



I want to solve for z so I break it up into a sum $z=x+iy$ and get:



$\cos{z}=\cos{x}\cosh{y}-i \sin{x} \sinh{y}$



equating real and imaginary parts I am faced with



$\cos{x}\cosh{y}=\sqrt{2}$ and $\sin{x}\sinh{y}=0$




How do I go about solving from here I can't seem to get out of this loop where I have to end up using some ugly form for inverse hyperbolic function.



EDIT: $\cos^{-1}{z}$ is defined in Churchill as



$\cos^{-1}{z}=-i\log{[z+i(1-z^2)^{1/2}]}$



Am I better off just plugging it in to here?


Answer



Avoid squaring whenever possible as it immediately introduces extraneous root(s)




We have $\displaystyle\frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}2=\sqrt2$



$$\iff(e^{iz})^2-2\sqrt2(e^{iz})+1=0$$



$$\implies e^{iz}=\dfrac{2\sqrt2\pm\sqrt{8-4}}2=\sqrt2\pm1$$



$$\iff iz=\log(\sqrt2\pm1)$$



$$\iff z=-i\log(\sqrt2\pm1)$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...