Saturday 12 September 2015

sequences and series - mathematical induction with functions



a function $f$ satisfies the following conditions:



$$\begin{align*}
&f(1)=1\\
&f(n)=f(n-1)+2\sqrt{f(n-1)}+1\quad\text{for integers}\quad n\ge 2

\end{align*}$$



Find a formula that might be true for all integers $n\ge1$. Then prove using mathematical induction that it is indeed correct.



I found that the formula is $f(n)=n^2$, but I'm stuck on how to prove it... can anyone help me please?



Thanks a lot!


Answer



HINT for the induction step: if $f(n)=n^2$, then $$f(n+1)=f(n)+2\sqrt{f(n)}-1=n^2+2\sqrt{n^2}+1=\dots~?$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...