Monday 28 September 2015

Intuition behind logarithm inequality: $1 - frac1x leq log x leq x-1$



One of fundamental inequalities on logarithm is:
$$ 1 - \frac1x \leq \log x \leq x-1 \quad\text{for all $x > 0$},$$
which you may prefer write in the form of
$$ \frac{x}{1+x} \leq \log{(1+x)} \leq x \quad\text{for all $x > -1$}.$$



The upper bound is very intuitive -- it's easy to derive from Taylor series as follows:
$$ \log(1+x) = \sum_{i=1}^\infty (-1)^{n+1}\frac{x^n}{n} \leq (-1)^{1+1}\frac{x^1}{1} = x.$$




My question is: "what is the intuition behind the lower bound?" I know how to prove the lower bound of $\log (1+x)$ (maybe by checking the derivative of the function $f(x) = \frac{x}{1+x}-\log(1+x)$ and showing it's decreasing) but I'm curious how one can obtain this kind of lower bound. My ultimate goal is to come up with a new lower bound on some logarithm-related function, and I'd like to apply the intuition behind the standard logarithm lower-bound to my setting.


Answer



Take the upper bound:
$$
\ln {x} \leq x-1
$$
Apply it to $1/x$:
$$
\ln \frac{1}{x} \leq \frac{1}{x} - 1

$$
This is the same as
$$
\ln x \geq 1 - \frac{1}{x}.
$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...