Tuesday 15 September 2015

real analysis - Can I conclude that $lim_{xto0^+}frac{x^2}{e^{-frac{1}{x^2}}cos(frac{1}{x^2})^2}$ is infinite or it doesn't exists?



$$\lim_{x\to0^+}\frac{x^2}{e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}\cos(\frac{1}{x^2})^2}$$



My intuition is that the denominator goes to 0 faster and everything is non-negative, so the limit is positive infinity.



I cant think of elementary proof, l'Hopital doesn't help here, and I'm not sure if and how to use taylor.




WolframAlpha says it's complex infinity, but I can't understand why it doesn't just real positive infinity.



I've tried to use wolfram language to use the assumption that x is real, but couldn't get any result.


Answer



The limit$$\lim_{x\to0^+}\frac{x^2}{\exp\left(-\frac1{x^2}\right)}$$is indeed $+\infty$. Since $\dfrac1{\cos^2\left(\frac1{x^2}\right)}\geqslant1$ for each $x$ (when it is defined), you are right: the limit is $+\infty$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...