Sunday 20 September 2015

discrete mathematics - Proof: For all integers $x$ and $y$, if $x^3+x = y^3+y$ then $x = y$



I need help proving the following statement:



For all integers $x$ and $y$, if $x^3+x = y^3+y$ then $x = y$



The statement is true, I just need to know the thought process, or a lead in the right direction. I think I might have to use a contradiction, but I don't know where to begin.




Any help would be much appreciated.


Answer



We have
\begin{eqnarray*}
x^3+x=y^3+y&\Longleftrightarrow& (x^3-y^3)+(x-y)=0\\
&\Longleftrightarrow& (x-y)(x^2+y^2+xy+1)=0.
\end{eqnarray*}
Since $x^2+y^2+xy+1=(x+\frac{y}{2})^2+\frac{3}{4}y^2+1>0$, we get $x=y$.
The hypothesis $x,y$ are integer numbers is redundant.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...