Monday 21 September 2015

discrete mathematics - Solve the following recurrence relation: $a_{n}=10a_{n-2}$



I'm trying to solve the following recurrence equation $a_{n}=10a_{n-2}$.



Initial conditions: $a_0=1$, $a_1=10$



I have tried to use characteristic polynomial and generating functions but both methods lead to contradiction.



I think I should observe $\mathbb{N}_{even}$ and $\mathbb{N}_{odd}$ as different cases but I don't know how to do it formally.




Any help would be appreciated.


Answer



We need initial values for $ a_0 $ and for $a_1$ to start with.



Notice that, $$ a_2 = 10a_0$$,$$a_4 = 10a_2 =10^2a_0$$ $$ a_6=10a_4 =10^3 a_0$$



With the given initial values we get $$a_{2k}=10^ka_0 = 10^k $$



Similarly you get $$a_{2k+1}=10^{k+1} $$



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...