Thursday 17 September 2015

calculus - Implicit derivative of $e^y$



I am confused about this problem of finding the derivative of $e^y$ when differentiating with respect to $x$. The whole problem is to differentiate $y = x \, e^y$ with respect to $x$ but I get stuck on $\frac{d}{dx}(e^y)$.




I use the chain rule and end up with
$(e^y)(y)(\frac{dy}{dx})$, derivative of the outside times inside times derivative of the inside, but when I look up online to check my answer it seems that $\frac{d}{dx}(e^y) = (e^y)(\frac{dy}{dx})$. I'm confused where my extra $y$ went?



Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Answer



$$\frac{\ d}{\ dx}e^y$$



First take the derivative like you "normally would":



$$e^y$$




Then take the derivative of the stuff substituted "inside", the stuff where an $x$ would usually be:



$$\frac{\ d}{\ dx} y=\frac{\ dy}{\ dx}$$



Multiply them together.



$$e^y • \frac{dy}{dx}$$



Summarized mathemetically,




$$\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{du}{dy}•\frac{dy}{dx}$$



Where here $u=e^y$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...