Monday 28 September 2015

Proof by induction help. I seem to be stuck and my algebra is a little rusty




Stuck on a homework question with mathematical induction, I just need some help factoring and am getting stuck.



$\displaystyle \sum_{1 \le j \le n} j^3 = \left[\frac{k(k+1)}{2}\right]^2$



The induction part is: $\displaystyle \left[\frac{k(k+1)}{2}\right]^2
+(k+1)^3$ is where I am having a problem.




If you could give me some hints as to where to go since I keep getting stuck or writing the wrong equation.



I'll get to $\displaystyle \left[{k^2+2k\over2}\right]^2 + 2{(k+1)^3\over2}$



Any push in the right direction will be appreciated.


Answer



$(\frac{k(k+1)}{2})^2+(k+1)^3$



$=\frac{k^2(k+1)^2}{4}+(k+1)(k+1)^2$




$=\frac{(k+1)^2}{4}(k^2+4k+4)$



$=\frac{(k+1)^2}{4}(k+2)^2$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...